Worimi Country - History
The Worimi are the traditional owners of the
Port Stephens area.
Port Stephens History
A timeline of the history of the Port Stephens area.
Lieutenant James Cook names Port Stephens
On the 11th May 1770, on his voyage along the east coast of Australia, Lieutenant James Cook sailed past and named Port Stephens.
Sketchley Cottage is the only known example of an 1840s colonial building in the Port Stephens Local Government Area.
Tomago House was built in the 1840s & formed the nucleus of what was, in the mid 19th century, a vast agricultural estate...
Hinton Historic Village
Located on the rich floodplain 4 km north-east of Morpeth, the tiny village of Hinton lies on the banks of the Hunter River...
King Street is the original main street and business district of Raymond Terrace, up until the devastating 1955 flood which engulfed the Lower Hunter.
Point Stephens `Outer'
Point Stephens Lighthouse is a heritage-listed active lighthouse located on Fingal Island, Point Stephens
Nelson Head Lighthouse `Inner Light'
Nelson Head Light, also known as Nelson Head Inner Light, is an inactive lighthouse on Nelson Head, a headland near Halifax Park in Nelson Bay.
Today, Pindimar is a sleepy hamlet of around 200 homes, but more than 100 years ago the area was under consideration for major development...
Tomaree Lodge is a heritage-listed former military camp, hospital and residential disability accommodation located on the Tomaree Headland at Shoal Bay...
Tomaree Lodge has heritage significance at a State level. It has historic significance because of its use as an Army Garrison Camp during the Second World War.
In 2015, the NSW state government announced that Tomaree Lodge would close to allow for the site to be redeveloped.
From the 1890s, Italian and Chinese fishermen camped on the island to trap lobster, it was the early 1900s that fishermen started to live there seasonally.
Bert Hinkler pays a call on Port Stephens
Famous pioneering aviator Bert Hinkler makes a forced landing at Biububi on Stockton Beach and is helped out by local farmers.
This is the true and amusing account of the adventures of Arthur Murdoch, a young man who spent the depression years digging for shell grit on Fingal Island near Port Stephens.
Fingal Bay had never experienced such a deafening noise. Investigation revealed that a young fisherman had saved up purchase The first motorboat in Fingal Bay.
The Mariners Walk project commemorates history in Port Stephens' via displays and signage along a walk from Soldiers Point to Salamander Bay.
Military History of Tomaree Headland
Port Stephens was a vital part of the Australian coastal defence system during the Second World War and became the focus of the Joint Overseas Operational Training School (JOOTS).
In 1942, Port Stephens was chosen as the base for combined operations training because it offered good shelter from Japanese submarines and was sparsely populated with less than 200 people living in the area.
The Catalina flying boat was one of the most versatile aircraft of the Second World War, and was operated by virtually every Allied nation in anti-submarine, air-sea rescue, patrol and bombing roles.